So, I tried traveling solo abroad for the first time. At first it was both exciting and terrifying at the same time (maybe terrifying is a bit exaggerated), as I don’t know what to expect and some of my friends think it is not that fun and may even be dangerous. But after doing it, I really loved the experience and I will definitely do it again.
Here are some things I like about traveling solo:
1. YOU HAVE CONTROL. Control over where you want to go, when you want to go, what you want to do and not want to do. Unlike when you’re with your friends, you don’t need to compromise with what to do – Everything is up to you. You can do everything you like without thinking if your friends is up to it. You don’t even need to have a plan of what to do. No pressure.
2. YOU CAN MEET MORE PEOPLE. When you’re with your friends or your special someone, somehow you create a wall that separates you from other people; you somehow create your own world that keeps people from approaching you. But when you’re alone, you’re somehow more vulnerable and it would be easier for people to approach you and talk to you. And personally it is easier for me to talk to a person that is alone than a large group of people. Also, if you’re alone, somehow you’ll be forced to talk to other people, for directions, for tips, or just because it is boring to just talk to yourself.
3. YOU’LL APPRECIATE THE PLACE, THE VIEW, AND THE CULTURE MORE. When you’re alone, you have more time to concentrate on and appreciate the place you are in. In a way, you can be immersed more with the place and the culture.
4. SOME ALONE TIME IS HEALTHY TOO. Sometimes it is good too to spend some time alone and discover how to enjoy yourself. You’ll somehow lean how to be more in touch with yourself. You’ll discover things about yourself that you may not know unless you’re alone. I can’t really explain it but it is refreshing in a way.
5. IT IS FUN, PERIOD. It is a totally different experience – talking to strangers, getting lost, not knowing anyone, meeting new friends, doing crazy things that only you can understand, discovering new things, learning new language and other things. And yes, maybe it can be more fun if you spend these experiences with friends. But still, traveling alone offers a different kind of fun, and besides you may probably not alone all the time as you’ll definitely meet people along the way.
So, go ahead and try traveling alone even just once. or maybe twice. or thrice 🙂
hey there, I am loving your recent post!
I have blogged about 10 good things of traveling alone,
here’s the link
what do you think are the pros and cons of traveling all by yourself?
would be so nice to hear from you! 🙂
deanna ( http://www.talkaboutbeauty.wordpress.com )